Join us for PSWA’s (Public Safety Writers Association) annual conference in Las Vegas, July 12-15, 2018 at the Orleans Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. The conference is open to anyone writing crime and mystery fiction or non-fiction, technical writing for public safety magazines in print or online, or anyone interested in writing.
|Full conference (includes opening reception and all lunches)|
|Early Bird: Before Dec. 31, 2017||$210.00||$260.00|
|January 1 to April 30, 2018||$245.00||$295.00|
|May 1 to July 6, 2018||$280.00||$310.00|
|Friday or Saturday sessions (includes lunch):|
|Until July 6, 2018||$145||$195|
|Sunday day session only (includes lunch)|
|Until July 6, 2018||$85.00||$100.00|
|Pre-conference writers workshop||$35.00||$40.00|
|Guest Lunch||$38.00 per guest|
If you select a Friday or Saturday pass, be sure to pick the specific day when you register. Meal ordering and other logistics depend on an accurate count for each day.
- Cancellations prior to June 12, 2018 are refunded 100%.
- Cancellations after June 12, 2018 are credited to next year’s conference, less the price of meals.
Hotel: The Orleans Hotel and Casino
- Five guest rooms blocked on either side of our conference dates for attendees wishing to make this a working vacation.
- 40 guest rooms are blocked for conference dates.
- To reserve your room, visit www.OrleansCasino.com/groups. This URL is not found on the Hotel’s website and is just for our attendees. You can also call The Orleans Hotel Reservations at 800-675-3267. For online or phone, use the group code: A8PSC07. You won’t receive the special rate unless you use the special website address and group code. Reservations must be made on or before June 10, 2018 to ensure availability and group rate.
- Room rates are $45.00 during the conference, and for a few days before and after: Tuesday 7/10/18 through Tuesday 7/17/18, except for $94.00 Friday 7/13/18 and Saturday 7/14/18. Any room requiring triple or quad occupancy will be surcharged an additional $20.00 per night. All rates are subject to a Clark County room tax, currently 13%, and an $18 resort fee.
Note: credit cards are charged immediately by the hotel to secure the first night deposit (Room and tax).
- Shuttle service to The Strip and Suncoast and Gold Coast casinos.
- No airport shuttle, but taxi from airport to Orleans straight up Tropicana is about $20.
- Shuttle services (small buses, multiple companies) are about $10.00
- You can walk to The Strip from the hotel if you are energetic. We don’t recommend walking because of the heat and people begging along the way.
- Buffet, restaurants, coffee shop, Seattle’s Best coffee, bowling alley, bingo hall, movie theaters, and more are in the hotel.
For more information visit http://www.orleanscasino.com/
Our pre-conference Writer’s Workshop starts things off on Thursday, July 12th at 9:00 AM. The Workshop, which will offer writers a chance to get one-on-one feedback and instruction on advanced writing techniques.
Don’t miss this opportunity to gain a new perspective on the craft of producing the written word. Details coming soon! If you want to sign up for this great opportunity to expand and enhance your writing abilities to bring your writing to the next level, sign up for this special, pre-conference class.
We’ll provide more information a little closer to conference time about the workshop.
Immediately following the Writer’s Workshop on Thursday July 12th, conference check-in begins at 3:00 PM. Stop by the hallway on the second floor conference center and get acquainted with some of the other members and attendees. You’ll get your conference packet, as well as your special invitation to the evening get together. Enjoy snacks, refreshments, and a cash bar while you introduce yourself, if you’re a first-time attendee, or to catch up with old friends if you’ve attended before. Join your fellow attendees from 6:00 PM until 9:00 PM.
The conference then begins in earnest the next morning (Friday, July 14th). Starting at 9:00 AM and concluding around 5:30 PM, you’ll be entertained the entire day. Lunch is included all three days, and the food is fabulous. Each panel explores topics of interest in both the field of public safety and writing. Additionally, both Friday and Saturday have special presentations given by engaging, professionals speaking on topics of interest. In the past, these presentations have dealt with such things as crime scene processing, terrorist attacks, undercover police operations, and various aspects of writing. The PSWA bookstore is also open during this time, displaying the books of the attendees and presenters. The friendly staff does the selling… All you have to do is autograph them.
Conference Featured Speakers
Learn all about this year’s speakers on the Featured Speakers page.
One of the most popular features of the annual conference is our bookstore. PSWA members are invited to supply their books for sale.
You can bring your books with you, or ship them ahead to the hotel.
Contact Business Center Solutions at The Orleans at 702-992-0599 for current fee schedule for handling of books shipped to the hotel.
The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Hold for Public Safety Writers Conference July 12, 2016
4500 W. Tropicana Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89103
Books shipped to the hotel will be delivered to the conference room for sale.
Whether you bring your books with you to the conference or ship them to the hotel, each book for sale must have a 3×5 card inserted, bearing the following information (if you have legible pre-printed address labels, this would be a good use for them):
- Book title
- Author’s name (and your true name if you use a pseudonym)
- Mailing address
- Sale price
The “sale price” is the price for the conference bookstore, regardless of the price that may be on the book. Set the price as you wish. Bookstore staff will handle all transactions during the conference. The PSWA will deduct a 15% commission from the sale price. The rest will be sent to you.
You are responsible for gathering any unsold copies and shipping or otherwise carrying them home with you as soon as the conference is concluded. None of the conference staff is prepared to box and ship your books for you. Business Center Solutions at the hotel, on the same floor as our conference room, can assist you with shipping. Books that are not collected will be disposed of as we find convenient.