Join us for PSWA’s (Public Safety Writers Association) annual conference in Las Vegas, July 13-16, 2017 at the Orleans Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. The conference is open to anyone writing crime and mystery fiction or non-fiction, technical writing for public safety magazines in print or online, or anyone interested in writing.
|Full conference (includes opening reception and all lunches)|
|After May 1, 2017||$280.00||$330.00|
|Friday or Saturday day session only (includes lunch):|
|Before March 1, 2017|
|Before May 1, 2017|
|After May 1, 2017||$170.00||$195.00|
|Sunday day session only (includes lunch)|
|Before Mar. 1, 2017|
|Before May 1, 2017|
|After May 1, 2017||$100.00||$115.00|
|Pre-conference writers workshop||$35.00||$40.00|
|Guest Lunch||$38.00 per guest|
- Cancellations prior to June 13, 2017 are refunded 100%.
- Cancellations after June 13, 2017 are credited to next year’s conference, less the price of meals.
Hotel: The Orleans Hotel and Casino
- Five guest rooms blocked on either side of our conference dates for attendees wishing to make this a working vacation.
- 40 guest rooms are blocked for conference dates.
- To reserve your room, visit www.OrleansCasino.com/groups. This URL is not found on the Hotel’s website and is just for our attendees. You can also call The Orleans Hotel Reservations at 800-675-3267. For online or phone, use the group code: A7PSC07. Please note that the reservations made without using our group name: Public Safety Writers Association or by the assigned registration ID listed above will not receive the special rate.Reservations must be made on or before Sunday, June 11, 2017 to ensure availability and group rate
Room rates are $40.00 for Tuesday 7/11/17 through Tuesday 7/18/17, except for $89.00 Friday 7/14/17 and Saturday 7/15/17. Any room requiring triple or quad occupancy will be surcharged an additional $20.00 per night. All rates are subject to a Clark County room tax, currently 12%, and a resort fee.Note: credit cards will be charged immediately by the hotel to secure the first night deposit (Room and tax) upon reservation.
- Shuttle service to The Strip and Suncoast and Gold Coast casinos.
- No airport shuttle, but taxi from airport to Orleans straight up Tropicana is about $15-$20
- Shuttle services (small buses, multiple companies) are about $7.50 – $10.00
- You can walk to The Strip from the hotel if you are energetic. We don’t recommend walking because of the heat and people begging on streets along the way.
- Buffet, restaurants, coffee shop, Seattle’s Best coffee, bowling alley, bingo hall, movie theaters, and more are in the hotel.
For more information visit http://www.orleanscasino.com/
Our pre-conference Writer’s Workshop starts things off on Thursday, July 13th at 9:00 AM. The Workshop, which will offer writers a chance to get one-on-one feedback and instruction on advanced writing techniques.
Don’t miss this opportunity to gain a new perspective on the craft of producing the written word. Details coming soon! If you want to sign up for this great opportunity to expand and enhance your writing abilities to bring your writing to the next level, sign up for this special, pre-conference class.
Immediately following the Writer’s Workshop on Thursday July 13th, conference check-in begins at 3:00 PM. Stop by the hallway on the second floor conference center and get acquainted with some of the other members and attendees. You’ll get your conference packet, as well as your special invitation to the evening get together, which follows the check-in. The evening get-together features snacks, refreshments, and a cash bar. It’s a great way to introduce yourself, if you’re a first-time attendee, or to catch up with old friends, if you’ve attended before. It runs from 6:00 PM until 9:00 PM.
The conference then begins in earnest the next morning (Friday, July 14th). Starting at 9:00 AM and concluding around 5:30 PM, you’ll be entertained the entire day. Lunch is included all three days, and the food is fabulous. Each panel explore topics of interest in both the field of public safety and writing. Additionally, both Friday and Saturday have special presentations given by engaging, professionals speaking on topics of interest. In the past, these presentations have dealt with such things as crime scene processing, terrorist attacks, undercover police operations, and various aspects of writing. The PSWA bookstore is also open during this time, displaying the books of the attendees and presenters. The friendly staff does the selling… All you have to do is autograph them.
Topping things off on Saturday is a special event. Last year the PSWA Players performed a radio mystery play. The year before we had our version of CSI Jeopardy, based on the TV game show. This year we have we have something equally engaging.
Sunday morning opens with more panels and concludes with our PSWA Writing Contest Awards Ceremony, which announces the winners of the annual writing contest. Information on entering the contest is already posted on the website under Writing Contest. Check it out. There are multiple categories for both published and yet-to-be published authors.
Lunch is included each day (except for the pre-conference Writer’s Workshop), and the food is usually fabulous.
More specifics will be posted after the Board meets in February, but rest assured, it’s always a great time and a lot of fun.
I guarantee that this will be the best and the friendliest writer’s conference you’ll ever attend.
Michael A. Black, Conference Program Coordinator
One of the most popular features of the annual conference is our bookstore. PSWA members are invited to supply their books for sale.
You can bring your books with you, or ship them ahead to the hotel.
Contact Business Center Solutions at The Orleans at 702-992-0599 for current fee schedule for handling of books shipped to the hotel.
The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Hold for Public Safety Writers Conference July 14, 2016
4500 W. Tropicana Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89103
Books shipped to the hotel will be delivered to the conference room for sale.
Whether you bring your books with you to the conference or ship them to the hotel, each book for sale must have a 3×5 card inserted, bearing the following information (if you have legible pre-printed address labels, this would be a good use for them):
- Book title
- Author’s name (and your true name if you use a pseudonym)
- Mailing address
- Sale price
The “sale price” is the price for the conference bookstore, regardless of the price that may be on the book. Set the price as you wish. Bookstore staff will handle all transactions during the conference. The PSWA will deduct a 15% commission from the sale price. The rest will be sent to you.
You are responsible for gathering any unsold copies and shipping or otherwise carrying them home with you as soon as the conference is concluded. None of the conference staff is prepared to box and ship your books for you. Business Center Solutions at the hotel, on the same floor as our conference room, can assist you with shipping. Books that are not collected will be disposed of as we find convenient.